I am a former PhD student and Scientific
Assistant of the MathOpt research group.
I have left academia in 2015 and joined a major software company. Please inquire with Ms. Susanne Hess ( ) for details on how to contact me.
I studied mathematics, computer science and control engineering at TU Kaiserslautern, University of Heidelberg, National University of Singapore, UC Berkeley, and KU Leuven. I obtained a Dipl.-Math. degree (the German equivalent of a MSc degree) from TU Kaiserslautern in 2009. I worked as a student researcher both at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, Kaiserslautern and at NEC Innovation Laboratories, Nara, Japan, and as a consulting intern with Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, Munich, Germany. I received a dual PhD degree in applied mathematics and electrical engineering from U Magdeburg and KU Leuven in 2014 under the supervision of Sebastian Sager, Moritz Diehl and Georg Bock.
A detailed resume is available on request.
- Nonlinear Model-Predictive Control
- Economic Model-Predictive Control
- Embedded Real-Time Optimization
- Structure-exploiting Quadratic Programming
- Industrial Applications
- Automotive Applications
Refereed Publications and Theses
- J. Frasch. Parallel Algorithms for Optimization of Dynamic Systems in Real-Time. PhD Thesis, KU Leuven and U Magdeburg, 2014.
- R. Verschueren, S. De Bruyne, M. Zanon, J. V. Frasch, M. Diehl. Towards Time-Optimal Race Car Driving using Nonlinear MPC in Real-Time. Proceedings of the 53rd Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2014. (In press)
- J. V. Frasch, M. Vukov, H. J. Ferreau, M. Diehl. A New Quadratic Programming Strategy for Efficient Sparsity Exploitation in SQP-Based Nonlinear MPC and MHE. Proceedings of the 19th IFAC World Congress, 2014.
- M. Zanon, J. V. Frasch, M. Vukov, S. Sager, M. Diehl. Model Predictive Control of Autonomous Vehicles. In Optimization and optimal control of automotive systems. Springer, 2014.
- A. Kozma, J. V. Frasch, M. Diehl. A Distributed Method for Convex Quadratic Programming Problems Arising in Optimal Control of Distributed Systems. Proceedings of the 52nd Conference on Decision and Control, 2013.
- J. V. Frasch, A. Gray, M. Zanon, H. J. Ferreau, S. Sager, F. Borrelli, M. Diehl. An Auto-generated Nonlinear MPC Algorithm for Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance of Ground Vehicles. Proceedings of the 12th European Control Conference, 2013.
- J. V. Frasch, T. Kraus, W. Saeys, M. Diehl. Moving Horizon Observation for Autonomous Operation of Agricultural Vehicles. Proceedings of the 12th European Control Conference, 2013.
- M. Zanon, J. V. Frasch, M. Diehl. Nonlinear Moving Horizon Estimation for Combined State and Friction Coefficient Estimation in Autonomous Driving. Proceedings of the 12th European Control Conference, 2013.
- J. V. Frasch, L. Wirsching, S. Sager, H.G. Bock. Mixed-Level Iteration Schemes for Nonlinear Model Predictive Control. Proceedings of the 4th IFAC Conference on Nonlinear Model Predictive Control, 2012. Vol. 4(1), pp. 138-144. 2012. DOI: 10.3182/20120823-5-NL-3013.00085
- Y. Gao, A. Gray, J. V. Frasch, T. Lin, E. Tseng, J. K. Hedrick, F. Borrelli. Spatial Predictive Control for Agile Semi-Autonomous Ground Vehicles. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 2012.
- F. Kehrle, J. V. Frasch, C. Kirches, S. Sager. Optimal Control of Formula 1 Race Cars in a VDrift based Virtual Environment. Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, 2011, pp. 11907-11912. DOI: 10.3182/20110828-6-IT-1002.02954
- J. V. Frasch, A. Lodwich, F. Shafait, T. M. Breuel. A Bayes-true data generator for evaluation of supervised and unsupervised learning methods. Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 32, Issue 11, 2011, pp. 1523-1531. ISSN 0167-8655, DOI: 10.1016/j.patrec.2011.04.010
- J. V. Frasch, S. O. Krumke, S. Westphal. MIP Formulations for Flowshop Scheduling with limited Buffers. Theory and Practice in (Computer) Systems, A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, M. Segal (Eds.). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 6595, 2011, pp. 127-138. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-19754-3_14
- J. Frasch. Algorithms and Complexity for Steel Production Scheduling. Diplom Thesis, Kaiserslautern University of Technology, 2009.
- A. Lodwich, J. Frasch, T. M. Breuel. Report on Practical Bayes-True Data Generators for Evaluation of Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition and Data Mining Methods. Technical Report, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, 2009. Available at http://paren.iupr.com/downloads
- J. Seewig, T. Damm, J. Frasch, D. Kauven, S. Rau, J. Schnebele. Reconstruction of Shape using Gradient Measuring Optical Systems. Proceedings of Fringe 2009, The 6th International Workshop on Advanced Optical Metrology, W. Osten, M. Kujawinska (Eds.). Springer, 2009. ISBN: 978-3-642-03050-5
Preprints available on request.
- Das Rucksackproblem der Bundesliga-Manager - optimierte Entscheidungen bei der Kaderzusammenstellung (in German)
- On the Reconstruction of Sensor Locations from Distance Measurements (Report for the 2011 MOPTA Competition)
- TAPAS 2011, Rome, Italy
- IFAC World Congress 2011, Milan, Italy
- UC Berkeley MPC Seminar, Berkeley, CA, USA, 2011
- HPSC 2012, Hanoi, Vietnam
- OptDE Workshop 2012, Magdeburg, Germany
- ISMP 2012, Berlin, Germany
- IFAC NMPC Conference 2012, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
- MHE Workshop 2012, Leuven, Belgium (Poster contribution)
- Oberseminar Institut fuer Optimierung 2013, Magdeburg, Germany
- The European Control Conference 2013, Zurich, Switzerland (2 talks)
- ICCOPT 2013, Lisbon, Portugal
- TEMPO Workshop on Embedded Quadratic Programming 2014, Freiburg, Germany
- IFAC World Congress 2014, Cape Town, South Africa
- Optimal Control, Applications, and Methods (OCAM)
- IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control
- Mathematical Problems in Engineering
- The American Control Conference
- The European Control Conference
- Stéphane Coulier: Automatic code generation of numerical linear algebra (Summer Intern, KU Leuven, with Moritz Diehl and Joachim Ferreau, 2012)
- Arsin Gruenig: Distributed Large-Scale Convex Quadratic Programming via Dual Decomposition (Master Thesis, KU Leuven/ETH Zurich, with Moritz Diehl and Attila Kozma, 2012-13)
- Eduard Lukas: Real-time operation of racecars with gearshifts using nonlinear model predictive control (Master Thesis, U Magdeburg, with Sebastian Sager, 2013-2014)
- Robin Verschueren: Time-optimal race car driving: simulation and hardware realization (Master Thesis, KU Leuven/ Siemens LMS, with Stijn De Bruyne, Mario Zanon, and Moritz Diehl, 2013-2014)
- Do Duc Le: Parallel interior-point methods for dynamic optimization (Bachelor Thesis, U Magdeburg, with Sebastian Sager, 2014)
- Susanne Scholl: A comparison of continuous and mixed-integer formulations of gearshifts in autonomous driving of heavy-duty trucks (Research student, U Magdeburg, with Sebastian Sager, 2014-2015)
- Dominik Alfke: Regularization principles for rank-deficient dual Newton systems (Research student, U Magdeburg, with Sebastian Sager, 2014-2015)
- Tutorials Introductory Courses to Mathematics, TU Kaiserslautern, 2006-08
- Tutorials Mathematics for Engineers, TU Kaiserslautern, 2006-07
- Tutorials Linear and Network Optimization, TU Kaiserslautern, 2007
- Tutorials Numerical Optimization, KU Leuven, 2012-13 (with M. Zanon)
- Seminar Convex Optimization, U Magdeburg, 2013
- Seminar Optimal Control, U Magdeburg, 2013
- Compact Course Optimization under Uncertainty, U Magdeburg, 2013
- Exercises and Tutorials Nonlinear Optimization, U Magdeburg, 2013
- Tutorials Mathematics for Engineers, U Magdeburg, 2014
- Seminar Global Optimization, U Magdeburg, 2014
- Exercises and Tutorials Optimal Control, U Magdeburg, 2014-15